Philip Hammond visits Weybridge nursery to grant ‘outstanding’ first aid award to staff
The Millie’s Mark award is named after nine-month-old Millie Thompson, who tragically died after choking on food. A first aid award dedicated to a young girl who died after choking on food has been presented to a Surrey nursery by Philip Hammond .
The Chancellor of the Exchequer was at Monkey Puzzle Nursery in Weybridge on Friday (March 23) to unveil a plaque marking the achievement.
The award is named after Millie Thompson, who died after choking on food when she was just nine-months-old.
Millie’s parents set up the trust to campaign for changes to first aid requirements for childcare providers.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) states that just one person with a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises and available at all time.
However, the Millie’s Mark award is only granted to childcare providers who have all of their staff trained in first aid.
Speaking at the event, the Runnymede and Weybridge MP said: “It’s a great pleasure to be here today to unveil this award for Millie’s Mark to Monkey Puzzle Nursery Weybridge.
“It’s the only nursery in Weybridge or indeed in the surrounding area that has been awarded this.”
During the visit, Mr Hammond also met with the nursery’s staff and watched a presentation given by the children.
Nursery owner Nikki McReynolds said achieving Millie’s Mark meant parents could be reassured if there was ever an emergency situation.
“Millie’s Mark has raised the bar so high that everyone has to be first aid trained at the nursery,” she said.
“What that means for us is that everyone is confident, ready and able to deal with an emergency situation.
“It is very reassuring for our parents to know that we have achieved this outstanding accreditation and their children are in safe hands.”